Graphic design is a form of design which covers a wide range of areas from design for flyers, packaging adverts, posters and magazines to design for on screen graphics such as website design and graphics. Graphic designers learn a number of skills such as digital photography and using type (typography) and often use computer design programmes such as Adobe Photoshop.
Students are encouraged to develop their own creativity though a variety of media. Students participate in
- Entrepreneurial skills workshop
- Digital marketing workshop
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Graphic Design 5M1995
QQI Component Maths 5N1833 (available as option in evening for learners requiring Maths for progression)
€550 including QQI examination fees. (Medical card holders exempt from €250)
- Drawing 5N1862
- Design Skills 5N0784
- Graphic Design Skills 5N1978
- Teamworking 5N1367
- Work Experience 5N1356
- Typography 5N3485
- Digital Photography 5N1270
- Appreciation of Art, Craft and Design 5N0755
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature students are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the entry requirements set out here and satisfactory presentation at interview.
Fully equipped practical rooms and access to design software
Professional guest speakers
390 CAO points can be earned by students on successful completion of this course.
For full details on progression opportunities see these links:
- Excellent progression opportunities to UCC and other Higher Education colleges. Special arrangements in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for College of Commerce students. Up to 390 CAO points for any Institute of Technology can be attained by successful completion of this course.
Students undertake a block work placement of 2 weeks in a marketing/publishing or design company.
Opportunities for employment include marketing companies, publishing companies, web design companies and many set up their own design firms. Also opportunities include Auctioneering office support, Engineering office support, architect office support. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC LinkedIn alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.