QQI Level 5
‘We must set an example now and move environmentalism from being the philosophy of a passionate minority….to a way of life that automatically integrates ecology into governmental policy and normal living standards’ Leonardo DiCaprio. The human population is constantly growing, which in turn creates increased pressure on the environment. Natural resources that are vital to life on the planet such as water, soil and biodiversity are finite and vulnerable to damage through over-exploitation and poor management. This Ecology course focuses on the intelligent and responsible management of these valuable ecosystem resources, ensuring that people can continue to enjoy them.
€550 including Examination Fees (Medical Card holders are exempt from €250)
- Ecological Field Methods 5N1439
- Biological Diversity 5N1568
- Sustainable Water Management 5N5027
- Work Experience 5N1356
- Teamworking 5N1367
- Environmental Studies 5N1442
- Soil Science & Growing Media 5N2530
- Plant Protection 5N2546
- Plant Identification & Use 5N2527
- Irish Cultural & Heritage Resources 5N1293
- Additional Training given: Manual Handling Certified Training
Leaving Certificate, LCA or QQI Level 4. Mature applicants are exempt from Leaving Certificate requirement. All applicants are interviewed. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Students will undertake a work placement one day per week for the duration of the course in an ecological site/environmental initiative. A class project incorporating the elements of the coursework will be completed on campus.
- LIT: Environmental Science & Climate (LC408), IT Tralee: Biological & Environmental Studies (TL651), IT Tralee: Wildlife Biology (TL851), CIT: Applied Biosciences (CR006), WIT: Forestry (WD076). Special arrangements are in place with CIT (CCPS), Tralee IT and Waterford IT for preferential entry for CCOC students. Up to 390 CAO points for any IT can be attained. Go to our progressions database at https://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/progressions.ie for exact requirements on progressions for this course.
In the environmental section of a company or other ecological environments. Graduates can subscribe to ‘CCOC college jobs register’ and CCOC Linkedin alumni for up to date vacancies and networking.